Sangeet Mela is Australia’s premiere Indian classical music and dance festival featuring both Hindustani and Carnatic styles. Sangeet Mela 2017 will be held from 2:30pm to 9:30pm on Saturday 2nd September at Queensland Multicultural Centre (BEMAC), and will feature our biggest international lineup ever, headlined by doyenne of Saraswathi Veena, Smt Nirmala Rajasekar (veena – Chennai/USA). In addition to veena, you’ll have the chance to witness accomplished artists in vocal, bansuri flute, sarod, tabla, mridingam, and violin, as well as dance exponents in the southern Bharatanatyam and northern Kathak styles. Take a day trip to experience the best of Indian culture at Sangeet Mela 2017.
NEW: Unique workshop opportunities for kids and adults with Nirmala Rajasekar on Sunday 27th August. Visit www.sangeetmela.org/workshops/ for details.
The full list of this year’s featured artists is:
- Smt Nirmala Rajasekar (veena – Chennai/USA)
- Smt Sunita Tikare (Hindustani vocal – Mumbai)
- Sri Taro Terahara (bansuri – Japan)
- Sri Rahul Bhattacharya (sarod – Melbourne)
- Sri Simranjit Singh (tabla solo – Golden Temple, Amritsar)
- Smt Padmalakshmi Sriram with her daughter Ku Shivani Sriram (Bharatanatyam dance)
- Ku Sheena Rinky Bala (Rising Star Award winner – Kathak dance with live ensemble)
- Ku Madhu Murali (Rising Star Award winner – Carnatic vocal)
Help out Sangeet Mela by printing out our high resolution flyer and putting it up in your local cafe, Indian shop, noticeboard, etc…
Sangeet Mela 2017 is supported by platinum sponsor Yoga King, the Lord Mayor’s Suburban Initiative Fund via The Gabba Ward, silver sponsors Sahaja Yoga Meditation, Homeopathy for Health (Rukmani Paliwal), and Sitar Restaurant, and exclusive media sponsors Brisbane Indian Times and Australian Indian Radio. Sangeet Mela is organised by Sangeet Premi Club in conjunction with EthnoSuperLounge.